Monday, December 28, 2009

Oh, The Places You'll Go

Of all the things I never thought I'd end up doing, rehearsing in the middle of a Starbucks was definitely one of them. Frankly, I didn't think anyone would ever end up doing that.

We all gathered around a table in the tiniest cafe in the South Loop and strained our ears to hear our new music so we could set different counts. Unfortunately, the smooth jazz playing over the PA drowned out the sound from the laptop speakers we had huddled up against. Barely breathing, we all clapped out separate rhythms, trying to visualize the movement we would eventually be doing at this new tempo. The 45 minute rehearsal ended with everyone marking the movement sitting in stools, everyone off beat with the music we couldn't hear. That was the last rehearsal we had before the company went on break for Christmas.

Now we're getting ready to go back, but there are some minor snags. We no longer have two rehearsal locations, we only have one. Will we have to change rehearsal times? Will we have to find a new second studio? Will it be possible to have longer rehearsals as our February show draws nearer? These are questions only the dance gods can answer.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Y'all did it! Though you thought you never would, rehearsing in a public cafe wasn't really as strange as it may seem.

    I was ringing up at my local co-op (essential woman supplement (beautifying combo of essential fatty acids) pom juice and some nutty snacks. The lady at the register heard that I was interested in teaching Zumba as a working member of the natural foods co-op. So, she asks me to do a demo.

    I thought she was kidding at first. Then, I said "Well, I need some music..." So she snaps her fingers and I was like..."OK, we move faster than that..." but with no further ado, I busted a few merengue moves before cashing out. When I walked towards my car I realized that my face had a lil' dew of perspiration. I was nervous; I knew people were watching...random people. I need to get over my shyness. Zumba is for all to enjoy.

    Now the dance that is close to my heart, Egyptian dance, is sacred, special, private shows only...
    I'm diggin' your blog

    ReplyDelete

Followers