Friday, June 5, 2009

Laboratory Dancers

What's the point of having a blog if I can't use it to promote my own stuff, right? :)

I've been working since January with a group of fellow Columbia grads/students to put on a show at Links Hall. We call ourselves the Laboratory Dancers because we're interested in creating, experimenting, and thinking. We've put on a couple of small performances at galleries and loft spaces doing everything from magic tricks to improvisations to work-in-progress showings. There has been a lot of laughs, a lot of sweat, a fair amount of winging it, and plenty of hours logged in rehearsals. Our show finally goes up this weekend with two full-length pieces (one explore the power of memories and the other questions the value of pro-life/pro-choice debate). I have learned a lot about the logistics of putting together a professional show and, to be frank, I'm amazed at the two choreographers. We've come a really far way and I'm very proud to be a part of this. I believe that the questions raised by these pieces are worthwhile, and that the choreographers have done their best to explore these issues fully. Of course I want everyone to come see a show that I'm in. But more than that, I think that with time and resources the Laboratory Dancers have a promising future. This will definitely not be the last that you see of us.

Laboratory Dancers at Links Hall June 5 & 6 @ 8pm and 7 @ 7pm. $5.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers